Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Piety and the taxman

I share the same view as the author of this letter to ST, Ms Jo Lim.

Campaign is one thing, when it comes to implementation, it is another for Singapore Government , especially if it concerns MONEY.

I still could not understand why IRAS only allows one child to claim for parent relief when the official policy is to encourage more babies and now filial piety...double standards when the Govt needs more money.

Don't tell me they are encouraging filial piety so that the Government could escape responsibility for taking care of the olds.

Certainly, the policies are out of alignment.

IT MAKES ME DOUBT THEIR SINCERITY DUE TO SUCH MINDSET AND ACTION.

Abstracted From :-

ST Forum
Jul 10, 2010

'Why encourage all children to contribute towards parent maintenance when only one is entitled to tax relief?'

MS JO LIM: 'Our tax policies do not seem to be in line with the Government's exhortation to practise filial piety. I recently received a letter from the taxman telling me that I cannot claim parent relief. My brother and I contribute to support our parents, who are retired. Their medical expenses are high. We are claiming only $3,000 in tax relief, while the amount we contribute to our parents is $12,000 each annually. Yet the taxman tells us that only one of us is entitled to claim parent relief. Why does the Government encourage all children to contribute towards parent maintenance when only one sibling is entitled to tax relief? Shouldn't some adjustment be made to this policy?'

No comments:

Post a Comment